The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Universitas Gadjah Mada (FKH-UGM) is a higher education institution established during the Indonesian independence struggle. During the Dutch colonial era in Indonesia in 1861 J. Van der Wiede, a Gouvernements Veearts, was assigned to establish a veterinary school in Surabaya, which was later being dissolved. In 1910 the Indische Veeartsen School was established in Bogor which became the forerunner of the Veterinary Education Institute in Indonesia which in 1920 changed its name to Nederlandische Indische Veeartsen School (NIVS). During independence, the Indonesian Minister of Prosperity established the Veterinary Medicine School in Bogor to become a Veterinary Medicine College (PTKH) which was inaugurated in November 1946 with the Decree of the Minister of Prosperity of the Republic of Indonesia dated September 20, 1946 with No. 1280/A/Per (the date of the decree was made as the date of birth of FKH UGM).
The struggle for independence caused the Veterinary College in Bogor to be controlled by the Dutch government and the students at that time were mostly outside of Bogor to fight against the Dutch and did not want to enter the campus in Bogor. In 1947 a parallel class was opened in Klaten (Central Java) which became a place of study for students who did not want to enter the campus controlled by the Dutch. On December 19 1949, the Government of Indonesia established the Universiteit Negeri Gadjah Mada, which consisted of a combination of all universities in Yogyakarta and PTKH included in it and was renamed Fakultet Kedokteran Hewan and occupied several locations belonging to the Yogyakarta Sultanate for lectures such as pagelaran, Balapan, Bintaran, and Ngasem.
In 1955, the name of the Facultet Kedokteran Hewan was changed to the Fakultas Kedokteran Hewan dan Peternakan (Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Husbandry) (FKHP) which finally on November 10, 1969 FKHP was separated into the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and the Faculty of Animal Husbandry. In 1987 FKH was equipped with a Diagnostic Laboratory building at Klebengan, and in 1992 equipped with Teaching Farm. Starting in 2003, FKH occupied a new campus on Jl. Fauna No. 2 Karangmalang with new building and equipment facilities, and in 2006 FKH UGM officially had an animal hospital with the issuance of the Chancellor’s Decree on 9 of October 2006 No.328/P/SK/HT/2006 stipulation of Animal Hospital Prof. Soeparwi.