Veterinary Medicine history can be divided in 4 period, which are:
- Pre-independence period
- PTKH Period
- Transitional Period
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine Period
I. Pre-independence period
Veterinarian Gubememen (Gouvernements Veearts) J. Van der Weide was assigned to found and lead Veterinarian school, with 2 years duration of study in Surabaya in 1861. The school pupils were 3 people who all came from Java, and in 1867 increased by students from other islands, but in 1875 the school was disbanded.
In 1880, informal school of veterinarian was opened in Purwokerto by following Netherlands Veterinarian Gubernement. That education system soon were disbanded, but the system successfully passed 8 Veterinarian from 9 students. The effort to establish a veterinarian school was continuously done, in 1893 Veterinarian school similar to Java Medicine Education (STOVIA) was founded, but was rejected by the Director of the Department of Western Teaching and Crafts, and was also rejected by the Director of STOVIA. In 1907, Laboratory of Veterinary Medicine was established based on Director of the Department of Agriculture, Crafts and Trade idea (Landbouw, Nyverheid en Hande), Prof. Dr. Melchior Treub which were combined with Animal Clinic and courses to educate Bumi Putera veterinarian. Educations took 4 years to finish the graduate student came from HB S and Agricultural Middle School (Middlebare Landbouw School).
In 1910, the veterinarian school was changed to the School of Bumi Putera Veterinarian (Inlandsche Veeartsen School) and in 1919, the school was separated from the Laboratory, which finally in 1920, Nederland Indische Veeartsen School (NIVS) was founded which originally aimed to educate medium level expert as an assistance for Utrecht veterinarian graduate. In its development, it turned out graduates of NIVS were able to meet the graduate student quality of Faculty of Veterinary Medicine Utrecht. In general, NIVS graduate student worked as Gouvernement Indi sche Veearts, which were assigned to:
- Improve, maintain, and increase livestock population including poultry.
- Eradicate infectious animal diseases and regulatw export and import of livestock
- Promoting and maintaining the health of livestock.
There were people who work as an experts (wetenschappehjk assists) in “Veeartsen ljkundidig insti tuut” (here after the name of institute was Institute for Animal Disease Center) and NIVS in Bogor. It can also be employed as a regional veterinarin in self-governing area (localle resoten; gemeenten and regentschappen) and its task was to run veterinair hygiene, which includes:
- Inspection of food for human origins from livestock
- Supervision of dairy milk and meat,
- Supervision horse cart, gig, and grobag company
- Surveillance of animal markets, some of them were responsible in lemonade and soda water factory and Tofu Company.
Veterinarian government were allowed to run private practice, but for the sake of duty, this practice was prohibited. After worked for 2 -5 years, many of those who became the local chief veterinarian (ambtslringhoo/d) with the duties and obligations as a graduate veterinarian Utrecht. After 1920, the area of veterinary medicine (Veeartsenjkundige ambtskring) an di im in by graduates of NIVS reach about 60%. NIVS diploma holders could continue their studies in Veeartsenijkundige Fakulteit in Utrecht with the free from candidates exam so that lessons can be completed within 3 years. This opportunity was used by 10 people. At the time of Japanese colonial in Indonesia, School of Veterinarian (NIVS) was changed to Zui Semon Gakko, then during the Indonesia government, it was changed into veterinary school.
II. Period of PTKH
In the early days of Independence of the Republic of Indonesia, on the proposal of agency heads of veterinary agency RJ (R. Sutrisno) on March 1946, Minister of Welfare RI had established a committee for the Establishment of Veterinarian High School, whose members consist of:
- Soeparwi, an inspector of veterinary agency of central java and also as Vice Chief of veterinary agency, as the chairman.
- Samsoe Pocposoegondo, position in that time was Drv Veterinarians, as a writer.
- Atmodipoero, a junior high school inspector position in Magelang as a member.
- Iso Reksohadiprojo, a General Director of Ministry of Welfare in Magelang as members.
- Soeparman Poerwosoedibjo, position at that time as the head of the Cirebon Prajaa City Economics, as member.
- Djaenoedin, Director of Animal Disease Research Center in Bogor, as member.
- Moh. Roza, a Veterinarian in BPPH in Bogor, as member.
- Mohede, Director of School of Veterinary in Bogor, as member.
- Garnadi, teacher at School of Veterinarian Bogor, as member.
- Hoctanradi, Inspector of Veterinary agency in East Java, as a member.
- Slamet, worked as a Veterinarians of Kotapradja Malang, as a member.
Based on the committee’s proposals then by decree of the Minister of Welfare of Indonesia on 20 September 1946 No. 1280/a/ Per. Veterinarian School in Bogor had been appointed as College of Veterinary Medicine (PTKH) (this date is used as the birth date of faculty of Veterinary Medicine) and inaugurated on November 1946. Study duration was decided for 5 years and with the admission requirements to become student, graduated from: SMT bag, B, Senior High School bag. B, AMS bag. B, 5-year HBS sections B and other schools on a par with it.
When appointed as a College, School of Veterinary mentioned above had 4 classes, which lasted for a year, so as a training the student of class 1, 2, 3, all of which had been sitting a year in each class received as a student of level 1, 2, and 3, but had to follow the application course at least one year in the basic subjects that were deemed to be insufficient. This application course had lasted for several months before PTKB was established; so that students had knowledge equivalent to graduates of SMA/B, AMS/B, SMT/B and many more. Due to the shortage of veterinarians, the 4th grade students were not allowed to become a student, but had to take the final exams from veterinary school. Thus PTKH in Bogor started with level l, 2, and 3 and consist of approximately 60 students. At that time, because of the road to Bogor and several other places were hard to reach, and to protect the PTKH Bogor from being invaded by Netherland, then on the approval of Minister of Welfare RI and Chairman of PTKH Bogor, in 1947 in Klaten opened an opportunity to hold a 1st degree of parallel class. This action was considered necessary because in order to prevent the vacancy on levels 1 and 2. But until the 1st clash (July 21st 1947) the 1st degree parallel class could not be done, because no young man who listed himself as a level I student. After the 1st class, PTKH in Bogor was occupied by the Dutch who of course mostly under the dutch influence and control. Related with the holiday at that time, the students who were mostly came from outside of Bogor, had no will to return to the city, but joined the local Veterinary Agency. Students who lived in the city at that time, in accordance with the ideals of the struggles for independence took the attitude to survive and would not continue their studies at a university which was opened by the Dutch.
PTKH RI Bogor since the 1st clash until the opening of Diergeneeskundige Fakulteit by the Netherlands in May 1948, was never been officially closed, simply because the political atmosphere of that time could no be lasted because at first no one wants to violate their attitude ideals. The teachers partly expressed their readiness to cooperate with the Netherlands. After Diergeneeskundige Fakulteit of Universiteit of Indonesia in 1948 was opened, gradually PTKH RI students came to register themself, some other students remain a “non”. Base on this fact and to maintain a permanent establishment of PTKH RI, then with the help of College of Medicine, which had been founded in Klaten, in this place at the beginning of 1948 was opened PTKH, ranging from first degree with 3 students from Bogor and 1 student from SMT/B Malang. Gradually came the students from Bogor who did not want to joint with the Dutch Diergeneeskundige Fakulteit. For school year of 1948/1949, there were 12 students,
1st degree — 6 student (3 of SMNSMT and other 3 from the University of Bogor)
2nd degree — 3 students from Bogor
3rd degree — 3 of people from Bogor.
As for the teachers consist of teachers from Medicine College, Agriculture College, and veterinarian from Veterinary agency. The lectures started smoothly after a few months, then the 2nd clash (19-12-1948) broke out, so that the state of every college in Klaten were messed up. The students mostly fought at the front line and other fought in another field, and no student who joined the Netherlands. After the return of the Government of RJ in Yogyakarta, then PTKH were rearranged together with universities that used to be in Klaten. At that time in Klaten, the cease fire had not happen, but the preparation had been begun like the transport from Klaten to Jogjakarta, so on November 1st 1949 the combined of College in Klaten reopened officially in Kadipaten (Ngasem) Yogyakarta, that was also attended by President of PJM lr. Sockamo.
Because the building at Kadipaten was insufficient, then PTKH and PT. Agriculture moved to Bintaran Lor 22 Yogyakarta together with Mines and Geology Agency. One building was occupied by the three institutions, PTKH only get 2 rooms with a size of 5.25 x 4.75 and 4.75 x 4 m which were used for the lecture hall, library and living room. In addition, in the pavilion they got 3 rooms size 4×2.4 m, 6×4 m, and 4×3 m that were used for chief of administration and computer room. Building of Bintaran Lor 22 was very old, the roof were made of shingles (wood). Although the roof had been repaired, but leaked was still happend. The effect was lots of books and pictures were wet because of the rain drops.
In the academic year of 1949/1950 in there were 13 students in PTKH: they were level I: 6 students (4 new and 2 old) level II: 5 students, level III: 2 students. Student from the academic year of 1948/1949 were not signed up again for the academic year of 1949/1950 were: Level I: 4 students, level II: 1 student, and level III during the academic year of 1949/1950 increased by 2 students. In academic year of 1949/1950 no final exam was performed, because in the early months there were still shortage on teachers and tools, practical study were still difficult to be held, also most of the students came too late, and there were students who came in April 1950, and some still had task.
It should bear in mind that most lectures and practicum was held together with students of College of Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, and Agriculture in Ngasem. On 19th of December 1949 by the Government of Indonesia, Gadjah Mada Universitit State was founded, which consist of combination of all universities in Jogjakarta, where PTKH was included and renamed with Fakultit of Veterinary Medicine. With PP No. 10 Year of 1955, contained in the Law No. 44 in 1955, starting on 21st of January 1955 fakultit name was changed into Faculty.
The name change was also alluded in article 2, paragraph 3, of the Decree of the Minister of Education, Teaching and Culture dated 1st of September 1955 No. 553759/Kab., So the full name after replacement became “Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Husbandry” On 8th of July 1954, after the completion of the construction in Pagelaran on the generosity of the Secretary of the Senate Prof. Drs. Mr. Notonegoro, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Husbandry moved fro Bintaran Lor 22 to occupy the first, 5 rooms. Although it had move but Bintaran Lor 22 still being used to hold some of the lectures and the library. On February 2nd, 1957, it moved away from the Pagelaran to Sekip I (former home of Prof. Dr. M. Sardjito). FKHP occupies a representative building on 26 September 1957 in building of Sekip Unit II, which used as student dorms while waiting for the new building.
III. Faculty of Veterinary Medicine in transition period (1959-1982)
At this transitional period, FVM still become one with the Faculty of Animal Husbandry and lecture also still carried out in many places other than on Sekip Unit II building, like at Balapan Panggung No. 7 building, Animal Clinic at Pekapalan southwest of North Square of Yogyakarta, and farm complex in Karangmalang. At this period, FKHP had two departments which were Department of veterinary medicine and animal husbandry department. New admissions system used simultaneous multi stage entrance test for the entire university; which were a written test followed by interview if successfully passed the written test. A high school students may choose two options and was possible to get accepted in both faculties. Lecture system using the package system which was a level rise on each year system. Through some of the refinement process, then started in 1979/1980 they used the credit system as it is today. In this period also the separation of FKHP to Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Faculty of Animal Husbandry on 10th of November 1969. Although had split, the Faculty of Animal Husbandry still remain in Sekip together with the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, waiting for completion of the new building. Finally in April 1982 the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine fully occupied the building at Sekip Unit II after the Faculty of Animal Husbandry moved to a place in Karangmalang Yogyakarta. However, since 2003, the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine occupies a new building on Jl. Olahraga, Karangangmalang, sharing the same area with Faculty of Animal Husbandry