The history of the establishment of the Department of Clinical Pathology at the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine UGM can’t be separated from the holding of Clinical and Chemical Diagnosis courses in the mid-1950s which at that time was held up by drh. Djoemantoro who is also considered as a pioneer of the Clinical Pathology Section. In 1965 the term Clinical Chemistry was used as a substitute for Chemical Diagnosis. At the beginning of the establishment of the Chemicochemical Laboratory, it occupied a space measuring ± 3 × 4 m with 2 practical tables and simple chemicals (reagents) for the practice of doctoral level students while practicing clinical examinations for patients who came to the Animal Polyclinic, UGM. The Clinical Chemistry Laboratory at that time occupied a part of the space in the Animal Polyclinic which was located at the corner of the North Plaza on the west side of the Kraton Yogyakarta hall. In September 1958, the Veterinary Medical Chemistry Section included courses (Veterinary Chemistry (= Biochemistry) and Clinical Chemistry. The Section has a Sub Division of Clinical Laboratory Science.
This section was located in Unit II Sekip Building. The room for the Laboratory, the Lecturer room and the room for administration has a total of 30×10 m. The room for the building was located on the upper floor as many as 3 rooms, each measuring 3×3 m. In addition, an additional 7×3 m experimental animal cage was added.
Before September 1958 both the Veterinary Medical Chemistry lectures and practice were lectures and practice of Biochemistry, which were held together with the Chemistry Section at the Faculty of Medicine and the Faculty of Dentistry in Ngasem under the leadership of Prof. Drs. Sardjono.
As explained in the history of the Medical Science Section, before the formation of the Veterinary Medical Chemistry Section, clinical laboratory lectures and practice were held by the Medical Sciences Section
Duties and Authorities
The Department of Clinical Pathology not only lectures Clinical Pathology courses but also lectures Laboratory Animal Science courses for students of Diploma (D3) Animal Health, Bachelor Program (S1) and Veterinary Doctors, Master and Doctoral Programs in Veterinary Science. Activities in the Clinical Pathology laboratory not only to organize practice for students but also performed hematological and blood chemistry examinations from various species of dog, cat, cow, goat, sheep, rabbit, chicken, mouse, fish originating from students who were conducting research or students who are conducting a Laboratory Diagnosis Co-assistant (KODIL).
The research that is being carried out by the staff at the Clinical Pathology Division is very varied to support the lectures and learning process at the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine UGM. Prof. Dr. drh. Siti Isrina Oktavia Salasia has a lot of attention to Streptococcus and Stapyloccocus germs and these germ aspects on hematological features, immunity and chemistry of animal clinics. Prof. drh. Bambang Hariono, Ph.D., is still involved in various aspects of heavy metal toxicity in various animals and the environment and the efficacy of traditional medicine. Dr. drh. Edi Boedi Santosa MP., is still pursuing the field of hematology and clinical chemistry of various types of birds as a basis for mediating diseases and providing therapy to sick birds. drh. Christin Marganingsih, M.Sc., is interested in exploring hematologic and clinical chemistry aspects of several traditional medicines in various experimental animals. The most senior staff and still active in Clinical Pathology are Prof. Emeritus drh. Soesanto Mangkoewidjojo, M.Sc., Ph.D., provided scientific guidance not only to more junior staff but also to D3, S2 and S3 program students.
Prof.em. drh. Soesanto Mangkoewidjojo, M.Sc., Ph.D. Prof. Dr. drh. Siti Isrina Oktavia Salasia Prof. drh. Bambang Hariono, Ph.D. drh. Imron Rosyadi, M.Sc. drh. Dinar Arifianto, M.Sc.
Academic Supporting Staff:
Yatimah R. Windro Nurhadi
Tab 5 content goes here.